10.21.2012

The Ice Box

I was first introduced to an ice box as a senior in high school when I visited my brother and sister-in-law's newlywed apartment in Provo, UT.  It was then that all the stories and descriptions I had heard of iceboxes made sense.  It was literally just that, a box of ice.  My spoiled mind couldn't comprehend the concept.  I felt so sorry for my brother and his wife.  After all, I lived in a home with a large freezer in the kitchen and an even bigger one in the basement with all the ice cream and frozen garden fruit and vegetables you could want.  At that moment, I decided I would never settle for an apartment with an icebox.  And considering the icebox first became popular in the 1930's, and I probably wouldn't be married until roughly 85 or so years later, I didn't think I had anything to worry about.  

But, we are now in 2012 and I didn't even flinch when we were touring the apartment before we signed the contract after I saw the icebox.  The monthly rent and complimentary "amenities" of this particular basement apartment were too attractive to turn down.  So now we have an icebox.  


Okay, so its not that bad - we only have to thaw the icebox every month and a half or so.  It's not my favorite housekeeping task, but two batches of homemade raspberry freezer jam was certainly motivation enough to get me to bust out the hairdryer and cookie sheet "drip pans" one more time.  The case lot sale at our local grocery store was going on as well, so I needed more room for freezer storage anyway!  




No comments:

Post a Comment